Monday, April 17, 2017

Another Psychological Conundrum

There was a recent article given to me by my professor about how friendships between adolescent boys can be more powerful and have more of an impact on those involved than what was originally thought possible. The article talked about how teenage boys use their friendships with others of their kind to not only socialize but to also share their securities and insecurities with in order to mutually boost their mental state. However, the article goes on to show that this can lead to disastrous mental consequences for both parties involved if the relationship is either destroyed entirely or is seen by some on the outside as something to make fun of and take advantage of in their pestering of any involved parties of the relationship. In the end, those involved are left with an “open hole” that shows their insecurities (and we all know how males handle signs of weakness, unfortunately). Quite frankly this article really resonated with me not just because my general demographic is concerned in it, but because I’ve found this to be true throughout my life. People in my demographic often have friends in order to share insecurities and talk about them in a way that boosts their overall happiness and, when that connection goes away they begin to feel all different types of psychological effects that can hurt them for a little while or (more often) permanently damage their abilities to socialize and carry on with life. This article also resonates with me because I’ve been there and done that before to the point where I sorta have it in my moral code as the number one thing not to do to someone, male or female (unless it’s not mutual like the article discussed, of course). In short the article is right in saying that it’s an issue when people break off their friendships or are made fun of for having them and should be addressed appropriately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment