Monday, October 16, 2017

Priorities and their Problems

Priorities, the bane of every living human being's existence. A construct of finding out what's most important in our lives and executing these tasks in chronological order based upon that fact. The only problem is, everything's important to somebody (and that somebody is your boss /coach /teacher /parents /etc.).
In all, personal priorities are good to have. They allow you to sort your daily tasks based on what is the most important to you for that day. It allows us to keep on top of things and not let assignments or jobs slip through our fingers and become missed opportunities. The problem with priorities, however, is that people are going to try to manipulate them not matter what they are if you have a conflict in times tasks need to get done. This can get extremely annoying and only causes the stress that having priorities was supposed to eliminate become recreated through pressure from two people who area the heads of certain areas of your life. This has happened to me several times throughout my high school career, especially at school itself. For instance, there was one time where I had 2 advanced placement biology labs due on the same night. Not only was that in itself pretty ridiculous, but what was more ridiculous was that they were due on the soccer team's senior night (which I was still a member of). Now, in terms of priorities this wouldn't have been a problem, simply just put AP biology before soccer. However, senior night WAS MANDATORY FOR ALL PLAYERS TO ATTEND THE WHOLE NIGHT, which ended up ending at 10:30pm EST. I had literally no time to even think about what I was writing down as I tried desperately to do my science labs up until 1:00am the next morning (the only reason I had stopped was because I had other classes to attend and realized if I stayed up the whole night all of my grades would get worse).
Now, the easy way people will find around this is "Well, why didn't you just do it when it was first assigned rather than wait till the last minute?" Well I'll tell you why high school student that is smart enough to be in honors and AP level classes but takes all general or CP classes that has probably never had any problems with this kind of thing: I had five other assignments due throughout the time period I was given from all of my other classes at the school. "Well, then why didn't you use the weekend, like me?" Maybe because my family consistently plans these 'surprise excursions' to Columbus and Niles, Ohio seemingly every bloody weekend AP student who does nothing outside of school other than 1-2 things. The reason I went on this rant is to show one thing: priorities only work for people who do little or very specific things. For me, as a broad-range student who participates in various classes, clubs, and sports, EVERYTHING always clashes with SOMETHING (and it always ends with everyone screaming at me).

No comments:

Post a Comment